Fried chicken and potatoes that take less than 30 minutes to make. Chicken and potatoes are two of the most loved foods, and when you add them together, they make a delicious meal for dinner.
Our Chicken and Potatoes recipe is so delicious and addicting that it’ll be hard not to eat the whole lot.
Which cookware should you use to prepare fried chicken and potatoes?
For better performance and ease of use, I suggest that you use a cast-iron skillet. Both ingredients can be cooked in the same skillet. Cast iron skillet retains high heat and spreads heat uniformly, which is perfect for this recipe. You may also use a grill or stainless steel burner.
How many calories in fried chicken and potatoes?
For just 350 calories, this recipe is good. Serve with a vegetable hand, such as garlic green beans or sautéed spinach, to keep the calories down.
Ingredients for preparing fried chicken and potatoes
- 3 medium russet potatoes, all scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of minced thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, all thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt, well divided
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- buttermilk ranch dipping sauce for a special taste
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of chives, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of minced thyme
- 1 garlic clove, well minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
How to prepare fried chicken and potatoes?
- Place all the buttermilk ranch dip sauce in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. This will make it possible for the flavors to marry together.
- Remove the dip from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before serving. It is going to take a slight chill off the dip and really give you the best ranch dip experience.
- Place the buttermilk, thyme, garlic, some salt, and some pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Remove the potatoes and mix until well coated.
- While the potatoes are sitting, add the flour, onion powder, mustard, paprika, and remaining salt and pepper into a shallow baking dish and whisk together.
- Add some buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir. This will produce small patches of thicker fried “fat” in the dredging mixture, enhancing the flavor and crunch of the potatoes until they are fried.
- Fill a big, deep skillet with a few inches of oil and heat to 350 ft.
- Shake the excess flour from the potato slices and move to the refrigerator, in a single layer, until all the potatoes have been coated.
- Fry the potatoes in small batches for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and a cooling rack and season with salt.
- Serve chicken fried potatoes with dip sauce.
For step on how to fry your chicken check out our post on how to prepare fried chicken at home, here.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In the Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State
Eket, Akwa Ibom State:
3 park road, opposite Chinese market, Eket.