Afang Soup is one of Nigeria’s most popular traditional soups. It is very nutritious, medicinal, and is native to Nigeria’s Efik people.
Ingredients for preparing Afang soup
- 1kg of chicken plus other assorted meat
- About 4 Bunches of Water leaves
- 3 Cups of Okazi/ Afang leaves
- 2 Cooking Spoons of Palm Oil
- 1-2 Pieces of Smoked Fish
- 3 Pieces of Stockfish
- 2 Cups of Periwinkles with or without the Shells on
- 1-2 cooking spoons of fresh ground Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 1 Cooking Spoon of Crayfish Powder
- 2 Cubes of Knorr Chicken
- 1 cube of Maggi Crayfish
- And Salt to taste
Method of preparing Afang soup with chicken
- Boil the chicken and meats on high heat, starting first with tougher meats. Add salt and Knorr Chicken Cubes seasoning, as well as onions, but optional onions.
- When the chicken and meats are nearly soft, add the Smoked fish and continue boiling until very soft …
- Keep the leaves ready when the meats are cooking.
- The Water leaves slice and wash to clear any traces of soil.
- The Okazi / Afang leaves also wash and soak in hot water for 2 minutes. This process will help the Afang leaves soften.
- Then transfer the Afang leaves into a blender, add a small amount of water, then blend to the consistency you prefer. You can also grind the Afang leaves to Pound or Grind.
- Soak the smoked catfish in hot water, clean then shred and set aside to remove traces of dirt …
- You should end up with 1-2 Cups of Stock when the chicken and meats are well cooked. Add the crayfish, blended pepper, Fried Prawns, Fried Fish, Maggi Crayfish, and Periwinkles to this if you are using some. Switch the heat to mild. Leave on for 3-5 to cook.
- Now add, stir and combine the washed Water Leaves. Then leave on for 2-3 minutes to cook. The water leaves wilt in the soup because it has a lot of water content, don’t be tempted to add too much. Mind we are also adding leaves of Afang.
- Attach the palm oil now, mix and blend, allow to cook for 3 minutes
- Stir and combine the blended Okazi / Afang leaves, let cook for 5 minutes or until the leaves are tender enough for you. At this time, taste to season and change if necessary.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State