Bitter leaf soup, like most other Nigerian soups, is named for the particular leaf that is used to produce it.
But of course, to extract at least ninety percent of the bitter taste, you need to wash this herb, just so you don’t end up with a really bitter soup.
Washing the leaves by yourself is better and more hygienic, it is a bit time-consuming but the result is worth the effort.
If you live in Nigeria, and can find them in your backyard, this is possible. But from any market in Nigeria, you can get the “already made” too.
Ingredients used for preparing bitter leaf soup
- 2kg of chicken
- A handful of bitter leaf (wash to desire)
- A half-cup of ground Crayfish
- 3 cubes of Maggi or knorr seasoning
- Ogiri (a product of castor seeds); this is totally optional
- 2 medium sizes of dry fish
- 1 big size of Stockfish head
- About 25cl of Palm oil
- Enough salt and pepper to taste.
- Pounded Cocoa-yam
- Half cup of ofor (alternative thickener)
Method of preparing bitter leaf soup
- It is best to boil in ordinary water alone for 10 to 15 minutes to soften the leaves and to extract the bitter taste.
- Using 2 seasoning cubes, a teaspoon of salt and half a cup of onions for parboiling the chicken with any appropriate ingredient. Let boil for 10 minutes then add water and cook until the meat is soft.
- Add the (hot-water) washed dry fish, stockfish, and cook until tender, add more water to taste, then add palm oil, ground crayfish, pepper, seasoning Maggi, salt, and pepper. Stir and let simmer.
- It should offer a good soupy taste at this stage, even though it would be watery.
- Then add the pounded cocoa yam to it
- Cook until the yam of cocoa is dissolved and this will possibly take 10 minutes. If the soup isn’t thick enough you might add a teaspoon ofor.
- Add the bitter leaves, stir, taste, add more salt if necessary, then cook for 3 to 2 minutes and make Nigerian Bitter Leaf Soup
- Any of these five will go along with it-Eba, Fufu, Semo, Wheat or Yam
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State