Chicken pie is essentially the meat pie chicken version but, unlike the meat pie, shredded chicken is a better choice than minced chicken. Compared to the meat pie variety, chicken pies are moister and smoother on the inside so you’ll need to use really succulent chicken.
Preparing chicken pie: The ingredients for the Dough
- 500 Grams of Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 250 Grams of Butter or Margarine
- 1/4 Cup of Milk or Water
- 2 Eggs
- A Pinch of Salt
Preparing chicken pie: The ingredients for the filling
- 300 Grams of Minced Chicken
- 500 Grams of Chicken With Bones (thigh, wings)
- 2 Carrots……..Diced
- 2 Medium Irish Potatoes……. Diced
- 1 Medium Onion…….. Diced
- 2 Cups of Chicken Stock
- 100ml of Whole Milk or diluted evaporated milk
- 2 Heaped Tablespoons of Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon of Curry Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- I Tablespoon of Chicken Seasoning of your choice
- 2 Knorr of Chicken Cubes
- Salt to Taste
Filling method for the chicken pie
- First, make deep insertions on each chicken using a knife, this will allow the marinade to penetrate deep into the chicken. Marinate the chicken with 1/2 tablespoon of curry, garlic powder, 1 Knorr, and 1 teaspoon of chicken seasoning.
- Place in a fridge, and leave for at least 2 hours to marinate. You can leave it overnight. The more, the better. Move the chicken into a cooking pot after it has been marinated to your satisfaction, put on a low heat hob add some chopped onions and salt to taste, leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- Don’t put in cold water. This process allows the chicken to release their own juices, sometimes swirl.
- Add 1-2 cups of water after 15 minutes, taste for seasoning, and change if required, allow this to cook slowly until tender.
- The chicken shouldn’t be too soft, only tender, so it’s simple to shred, since the carrots and potatoes can cook it further.
- Take out the chicken when it is tender, and cut into tiny bits.
- Throw the chicken bones back into the stock containing pot and continue cooking to slow for 10-15 minutes. This is to enhance the stock’s flavor, we will use some of this later.
- Place a wok on a medium-heat hob, add the vegetable oil, add the onions when it is dry
- Once the onions are fragrant, if you use any, add the chicken, fry until the chicken loses its pinkness
- Now add the chicken shredded, stir for a minute
- Bringing the carrots and potatoes in now
- Add 1 knorr cube, remaining garlic powder and curry powder, chicken seasoning, add salt and thyme to taste, too
- When the potatoes and carrots start cooking mix thoroughly, add the chicken stock and continue cooking until the potatoes and carrots are soft
- Mix the flour in 1 cup of water while this is cooking until you get a smooth, milky consistency, set aside.
- When the carrots and potatoes are soft, stir and combine the flour mixture, then add the milk
- Stir and really mix well
- Switch off the heat and allow it to simmer for 3-5 minutes with the residual heat.
Preparing the dough for the chicken pie
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt, sew to avoid clumps …
- Now add the butter, blend thoroughly until the texture is crumbly/grainy
- Now gradually add the milk or water, you may not need to use the whole quantity so gradually add the
- Mix your dough until you get a firm, non-sticky dough, don’t overwork it
- When done, cover in a cling film and leave for half an hour to rest in a fridge
- Crack the eggs in a pot, mix and set aside
- Now take the dough out after half an hour, knead your dough; you should find the dough ‘s texture has improved, it will now feel more manageable
- Then get a rolling pin and roll the dough onto a smooth surface, roll the dough into the shape you like, I use rectangles. Cut into the desired size, scoop the filling up to the rolled out dough 2 tablespoons
- Use a brush to frot the egg mixture gently on the edges of your pastry
- Preheat the oven until 200 degrees Celsius
- Fold the dough over, seal the dough firmly with the back of a fork
- Use the baking brush to glaze gently with the egg mixture over the top of the pie
- Repeat the same process with the remainder of the dough and fill it until it is exhausted.
- Place lined or oiled/greased baking tray on a parchment paper
- Place in the preheated oven and bake around for 30 minutes or until the top starts browning
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State
Eket, Akwa Ibom State:
3 park road, opposite Chinese market, Eket.