Coconut Rice is a rice-made, savory side dish cooked in aromatic coconut milk. It’s so rich, luscious, and bursting with coconut aromatic flavors. You’ll be surprised that this simple Rice recipe has so much flavor.
It is no exaggeration to say that in an average Nigerian home, rice is eaten at least two to three times a week. We manufacture rice recipes such as jollof rice, fried rice, rice and beans, native jollof rice, and many more recipes for rice. We eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with snacks sometimes.
In most Nigerian homes coconut rice is a staple. The way we make that differ from home to home, though. I adapted the delicious recipe for my moms and, as usual, I added my own spin using the chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken. The broth from the chicken’s dark meat gives the coconut rice more flavor.
I used crayfish in my own recycling as well. Only a small amount of crayfish provides the rice with a rich flavor. If you don’t have crayfish, don’t let the recipe stop you from making it. You can get away with it.
This coconut rice is not only delicious, it can be addictive too. The habaneros also have quite a kick. Not to worry, using fewer habaneros or simply removing the seeds can easily control the heat. That will reduce the amount of heat. Even Jalapenos can be used instead of Habaneros.
I always love using the full-fat coconut milk in my coconut rice for that rich coconut flavor but I know some people like it light; so feel free to use the light coconut milk for a milder coconut flavor but it’s so much better! And if you’re really looking for coconut, you can garnish with toasted coconut flakes lightly!!
Important points to note
- Make sure the rice is rinsed before cooking. This will help reduce the starch content in the rice.
- Cook the rice over low heat to prevent it from burning
- For this recipe, the can coconut milk works best, not those in the cold milk section.
- I used basmati rice for this recipe, however, you can use any kind of rice you like but note that cooking time varies with different types of rice.
Ingredients For coconut rice with chicken
- 5 pounds of Chicken quarters cut into small bite-size
- 2 scotch bonnets of Ata Rodo
- 1 Tsp of Thyme
- 1 Tsp of Curry powder
- 1 Cube of seasoning
- Bay leaf
- 1 bulb of Onion Diced
- 3 Cups of Rice
- 2 Cups of Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups of Chicken Stock From the Boiled Chicken
- 1 cup of Green bell pepper diced.
- 2 Tablespoons of crayfish which is optional
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil or any other cooking Oil
Directions for preparing coconut rice with chicken
- Cut the chicken into tiny portions, rinse, and inside the pot.
- Season with salt, a cube of stock, thyme, curry powder. Attach the pepper of Onions and Habanero, and leaf of Bay. Then remove the chicken from the stock and set aside, stir, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the coconut oil in a clean pot, add the onion and fry until the ointments become translucent. Do this over medium heat for around 2 to 3 minutes. Add the milk of coconut, stock of chicken, crayfish, and peppers of habanero and let it boil.
- Add the rice washed and drained, and leave for 15 minutes to cook. Quickly throw in the shrimps, chicken, and green bell peppers.
- Immediately cover it up and let it cook for another 10 minutes at low heat.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes before opening the lid to steam. Swirl. Swirl. Serve, and have fun!
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State
PS: The images and most of the explanations used for this article is credited to cheflolaskitchen.com