Editan soup is very common among the Akwa Ibomites. To some folk, washing Editan leaves severely is the best way to reduce bitterness. Some people use potash and that immediately gets rid of bitterness but leaves the vegetable with a flat taste and leaves the leaves too tender.
Editan is also very slimy, and some people add Okro, while others add waterleaf to it. A good amount of pepper chili does not hurt either. Unlike other vegetables, Editan has a soothing effect on the stomach.
Ingredients to prepare Editan soup with chicken
- 2 cups of Editan leaf (shredded, pounded and washed)
- 1 tablespoon of sliced Uziza leaf
- 8 pieces of Beef
- 4 pieces of Snails
- 1kg of chicken
- 1 Stockfish(optional)
- A handful of dried Prawns
- 6 fingers of Okro (chopped in circular chunks)
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper to taste
- 1 table spoon of ground Crayfish
- Seasoning cube to taste
- 2 cooking spoons of Palm oil
- And, salt to taste
How to Prepare the Editan leaves before cooking
- Just like Afang or Ukazi or Okazi, take and break the leaves. If you would rather not slice it yourself, you can do the slicing on the market for you.
- Pound the leaves in a mortar, in the dry ingredient section of a domestic blender, you may want to try shredding. Make sure you DO NOT mix with a paste. What you want is to further reduce the sliced leaves to tiny slices.
- Place the pounded Editan in a sieve with tiny holes, plunge into a bowl of water and use your hands, rub the vegetable to clean out the bitterness and you can find the slimy dark liquid flowing out of the vegetable. Taste the level of bitterness you can tolerate as you go check. This can need to be washed and rinsed several times to get rid of any of the bitterness
- Squeeze out the rinsed leaves of liquid and spread the Editan leaves onto a tray to dry out in the light. This will remove some of the remaining liquid, but note that it should not be crispy dry. Semi-dry is alright.
- The Editan can then be placed in the freezer for future use. And just now, take out the amount you need for the soup. That is, if you’ve made more quantities at once than you actually need.
Method of preparing Editan soup with chicken
- Wash the beef, and chicken and season it with your option of seasoning, salt, and pepper then steam it in its juice until it dries up. Add more water and cook until almost tender, add the snails, and smoked salmon, prawns and ground crayfish and cook until all meats are soft.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and bring to boil.
- Add the palm oil, taste and adjust to your preference for the seasoning. Continue to cook for some 3 minutes.
- Add leaves, uziza, and chopped Okro to the Editan, then cook for 3-5 minutes. Soup quality is the same as Afang, or Edikang Ikong. Editan soup is slightly bitter, but if you like bitter herb, it is the sort of flavor you like.
- Serve with whatever swallow you want.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State
The safe handling practices listed above are not the only ones, if you know more, you can feel free to share with us in the comment box.