Ewedu soup will remain one of Nigeria’s most popular soups, particularly among the ethnic Yoruba. Also, Ewedu is highly nutritious and is proven to help with weight loss.
Ewedu soup is very easy to prepare and the days have gone by when we worked our arms tirelessly to puree Ewedu soup with an Ewedu broom (Ijabe), now we’re just taking the easier route which is to use the hand blender.
Ingredients for preparing Ewedu soup with chicken
- A big bunch of Ewedu leaves
- 2 Cups of lukewarm Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Locust Beans
- I kg of chicken broth
- 1 Heaped tablespoon of Ground Crayfish
- 1 Bouillon cube
- Salt to taste
Method of preparing Ewedu soup with chicken
- Select your leaves from Ewedu, make sure you don’t choose the along with it.
- Thoroughly wash the leaves to rid it of dirt. Pour the water into a medium-sized tub, put medium-heat on a bob, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Attach the Ewedu leaves and cook for 2 minutes, attach the locust beans and continue to cook until tender.
- If you use a broom (Ijabe) to pound the leaves, use the broom
- If you’re using a blender, take off the heat from the Ewedu and let it cool down for a bit but do not turn off the heat.
- Add the Ewedu and the Iru into a blender, make sure you don’t add all the water, just 1/2 a cup should be enough.
- Too much of the water will impair your Ewedu ‘s viscosity.
- Using the pulse function, pulse the semi-pure consistency a few times.
- Transfer the Ewedu back into the pan and add to taste; the chicken broth, the ground crayfish, bouillon cube, and salt.
- Turn off the heat and allow to simmer for 3 minutes with the residual heat, stir occasionally to prevent burning. Do not cook too much, or the Ewedu will go brown.
- And your Ewedu soup is ready.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State
Eket, Akwa Ibom State:
3 park road, opposite Chinese market, Eket.