Nigerian Chicken Pepper Soup is a comfort food that’s easy and hearty. As the name implies, pepper soup is a ‘pepper soup?’ It is a recipe for chicken broth which is hot and spicy. Like most West Africans, the Nigerians love spice.
But I have you covered if you don’t like hot and spicy food. Simply reduce this recipe’s amount of pepper, or skip it altogether. Though I doubt it would still be called a pepper soup, with the complete absence of heat.
This easy chicken pepper soup put together is loaded with spicy, bold, and hearty flavors. It’s so easy to make and putting this together can hardly go wrong.
Why should you try this chicken pepper soup out?
- The broth gives good health
- The Chicken is well raised from home
- The green plants are full of healthy carbs
- The spice of the chicken pepper soup is medicinal
This exceptional delicacy is highly medicinal, made from aromatic spices, and can be eaten any time of day. Some prefer eating it after birth-giving; others like having it when they want to recover from cold or flu while others eat it because they like it.
The ingredients used in making pepper soup give you a whole package of nourishment and flavor; the whole atmosphere is filled with the strong aromatic smell of the spices right from the cooking process.
Starchy foods such as yam, potatoes, or unripe plantains may be introduced into the chicken pepper soup on many occasions to make it a full meal. I used green plantains in this recipe-plantains are highly nutritious and a good iron source.
INGREDIENT FOR CHICKEN PEPPER SOUP
- 2 lb of chicken
- 2 Tbsp of Crayfish
- 3 inches of ginger root
- 1 Tbsp of pepper soup spice
- 6 to 8 cups of water
- 2 scotch of bonnets
- 1 bulb of onion
- 2 green plantains
- 3 to 4 tsp of seasoning powder this will be about 3 cubes
- 5 garlic of cloves
- Pinches of Salt to taste
- Fresh scent leaves especially Basil
How to prepare the chicken pepper soup
- Blend and set aside the onions, ginger, garlic, and scotch bonnet.
- Cut the chicken into bits, and thoroughly clean.
- Put the chicken, cooked, in a bowl. Put the mixture together, season powder, and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly, and leave for 10 to 15 minutes to cook.
- Add spice, crayfish, and water to the pepper broth. Stir and leave for a further 15 minutes to cook.
- In the meantime, the plantains are peeled and cut into about 2-inch chunks.
- In the cooking soup, add the cut plantains and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the plantains become tender
- Sprinkle the basil leaves and serve you chicken pepper soup either hot or warm.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State