Okra soup is one of Nigeria’s most popular soup and when the Igbo wants to eat theirs, it is often combined with ogbono for the best result.
There are several reasons why I like this soup, the most remarkable reason being that children love it, I learned that the best way to introduce eba or fufu to children is to serve with Okra or ogbono soup, so it would be very easy for them to swallow.
Okra is also good for adults, and I like this soup because the two main ingredients (okra and fluted pumpkin) are very rich in vitamins.
But today we will be preparing this soup with chicken instead of any other meat.
So let’s make a delicious pot of Nigerian Okra soup, The exact way an Igbo woman wants to make it.
Below is a list of ingredients that have been used in the process, you can always increase or decrease dep
· A medium-size bowl full of sliced Okra
· Fluted Pumpkin leaves which is completely optional
· Stockfish head its medium size
· 1 kg of chicken meat
· 2 medium sizes of frozen mackerel
· 3 cubes of maggi
· Salt and pepper
· 200ml of Red (palm) oil
· Half cup of ground crayfish, you can use more if you want.
How to prepare the okra soup
· Slice the okra and set aside in a bowl, the trader can help you slice the okra in most Nigerian markets, but you can also try using a kitchen knife,
· Mix the crayfish and peppers in or ground.
· Parboil the chicken with lots of spices and then use very little while making the real soup, it’s likely that after parboiling the whole spice would be left in the stock (chicken water).
· Wash the beef and fish, season with half a teaspoon of salt, two cubes of seasoning, and half a cup of sliced onions.
· Let them boil for 10 to 15 minutes together. Remove the fish, and cook the meat until it becomes soft.
· Add the stockfish to the boiling meat, and cook for about 10 minutes until soft to consume.
· Add 200 ml of palm oil, crayfish, 1 cube seasoning, pepper, and salt to taste.
· At this point the sliced okra should is added, stir. Top with the cooked mackerel cod.
· Allow for 3-4 minutes to simmer and this delicious soup is done.
· You can use eba, fufu or pounded yam for serving.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State