White soup is a popular soup in east Nigeria. Its light texture is why it is known as “white soup.” The authentic white soup recipe requires fresh chicken and gives the soup a unique, and distinctive taste when used.
Ingredients for preparing white soup with chicken
- 1 full live chicken
- 1 small sized raw Yam cubes OR Yam Powder
- 1 handful of chopped Utazi Leaves/uziza
- 3 tablespoonful of ground Crayfish
- 1 medium bulb of onions chopped
- 20 g of smoked/dry fish
- 3 medium bulb of yellow pepper(habanero)
- 2 Stock/Seasoning cubes of your choice
- Salt (to taste)
Method of preparing white soup with chicken
- Clean the chicken properly, smoked and dry fish, then set aside and cook the chicken with the dried fish, adding the onions, seasoning the cube, and salt to taste. Cook and set aside until done
- Peel the yam cubes and boil, using a mortar and pestle, until stiff, then pound to a smooth paste.
- You should place the cooked yam in a food processor/blender in the absence of a mortar and pestle, add a little hot water and blend until smooth; you can use the hot water in which you cooked the yams. If the yam powder is all you have, boil some hot water, add the powder and stir constantly until the paste is smooth.
- Now add a little bit of yam and leave to cook the soup until the paste is completely dissolved and the chicken is done well. Keep rice, crayfish and smoked fish together
- Finally, add the leaves of utazi / uziza, savor the salt and simmer for 30 seconds. It is important that you punch your uziza / utazi root.
- The white soup when ready is best eaten with shredded yam or semo.
Where to buy Chickens in Akwa Ibom State
Since chicken is the only meat that has no negative health conditions, you can always use it to prepare any local and continental dishes of your choice. In Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, you can buy chickens from sofreshchikens.
Uyo, The Akwa Ibom State capital:
Number 215 Udo Umana Street opposite Akpan Andem Market, Uyo
Oron, Akwa Ibom State:
Number 27 Market Square by Aba Street, Oron, Akwa Ibom State
The safe handling practices listed above are not the only ones, if you know more, you can feel free to share with us in the comment box.