Tagiri extract also known as Christmas Melon has the potential of preventing and controlling deadly poultry diseases. It is one of the natural defenses that should be put in place whenever farmers resort to organic form of poultry farming.
It is worthy of note that antibiotics and other synthetic drugs usually harm humans, and at the same time raise production costs. Therefore, the use of natural products like Tagiri extract amongst others as a defense against all poultry diseases is of great importance.
Apart from the use of Tagiri extract in poultry disease cases, it has been used by almost all African parents to ward off viral diseases that are infectious around the house. They used Tagiri extract for the purpose of hindering the disease from spreading to other members of the family. Also, Tajiri extract is used to treat prostate cancer in men.
Benefits of Tagiri extract in Poultry
Tagiri Extract bulb can be used effectively without any complications but cautions must be taken in its use in order to maximize the overall benefits of going organic with your poultry farming. Below are the numerous benefits of Tagiri Extract in the farm
- Tagiri is used to boost the immunity of poultry birds and to prevent certain diseases such as Newcastle, Gumboro, etc.
- It is used to reduce the production cost in poultry farming
- Tagiri can be preserved without the use of refrigerator
- It can be used by the farmer as an alternative for vaccines
- Here in Nigerian, Tagiri plant is harvested for free, without any cost.
- As earlier mentioned, Tagiri extract is also used by humans to prevent the spread of viral diseases like measles.
Ingredients to prepare Tagiri Extract
- 1kg Tagiri bulb for 2 liters of water
- 2 liters of water
- A container with cap
- Kitchen Knife for cutting the bulb into pieces
- A well-calibrated container (to measure water volume)
- A weighing balance (to measure Tagiri bulb)
Method of preparing Tagiri Extract
- Get the bulb ready
- Scrap off the greenback
- Cut it into pieces
- Considering the weight of the Tagiri pieces, measure a balanced ratio of water to it( the water should be two times the weight of the Tagiri pieces)
- Pour the measured water into the container
- Cover the container with a mesh and use a rubber band to tighten the hold on it
- Keep in a cool and darkroom, so that the Tagiri can ferment inside the water for 7 days.
- Strain the Tagiri into a bigger container, blend the cuts and seeds specifically on the 7th
- Add the blended cubes to the liquid earlier strained
- Resist the urge to add fresh water to the mixture at this point
At this stage, the Tagiri extract is ready for use, and it can be preserved by refrigerating or with molasses.
Preservation of the extract; the difference with both method
To preserve the extract with molasses, add 1 part of molasses to 3 parts of the extract, this means you will need to add 1 liter of molasses to 3 liters of Tagiri extract or 2 liters of molasses to 6 liters of extract depending on the quantity that you made.
Note that if you are preserving the Tagiri extract with Molasses, you do not need to refrigerate it anymore.
Also, know that preserving your Tagiri with molasses makes them stay longer than with refrigeration, Tagiri extract can stay up to 4 months with molasses as preservatives while it can only stay up to 1 month when refrigerated.
The choice of preservation is left for the farmer, and also depends on the quantity that was produced, owing to how long it will take to use it up.
I guess, farmers should produce extract quantities that they can use up before expiration.
Recommended dosage of Tagiri for poultry birds
- The recommended dosage is 30ml of extract to 1 liter of water
- Do not use the Tagiri Extract for pullets and breeders that are above 14 weeks or for layers in production
- The extract is generally safe for birds that are less than 14 weeks old
- Day-old chicks can be given the extract as a form of vaccines in order to ward off Marek’s disease or Newcastle.
One of the best discoveries in organic poultry farming is the Tagiri, when you use this extract for the benefits of your chickens, you will appreciate the cost-effective benefit derived from using Tagiri as a substitute Vaccine.